Friday, May 06, 2005

supermarket pizza, an epic

FYI, this started out as a tout for California Pizza Kitchen’s new “Neopolitan” thin-crust pizzas, sold at grocery stores, about $5 a pop. But supermkt frozen pizza turns out to be hot + controversial. It's selling so well (up 2.1% in 2004, to $2.6 bil) that it's scaring the pizza huts of the world (sales = $20 to $30 bil). Foodies are into it: When I raved about CPK to my pal Stacy, she was ready w/ her new fave, Freschetta ("neither too saucy nor cheezy," she said. Stacy always has an informed opinion on just about any topic, esp. food). Spookily, Freschetta was just mentioned by D dining critic Nancy N on http://frontburner.dmagazine.com/; her mom hated it. So can we get back to my tout? Thank you. CPK has three flavors: Margherita (tomatoes & cheez), Sicilian (meats), and white (w/ spinach). Like any great saga, this has tragic ending: CPK's line is actually made by KRAFT. Kraft, the “category leader,” which also makes DiGiorno, Tombstone, and Jack’s. Sigh. Still, this is all better than Red Baron, right?

10 Comments:

At May 06, 2005 4:03 PM, Blogger Twisted Link said...

That's all well and good, but when I'm high, I like a Totinos frozen pizza. It has a crust like a saltine, a sauce as flavorful as tomato paste and cheese that may in fact be horse hide glue. Tony's will do in a pinch, but Totinos is the thing. And when I'm REAL high, I like two.

 
At May 07, 2005 10:08 AM, Blogger TG said...

Totino’s Party Pizza (and its cousin, Jeno’s Crisp ’n Tasty Pizza) sell more than 240 million frozen pizzas every year - making them the nation’s top-selling economy frozen pizza brands. I'd guess a discriminating diner like yourself would be pleased to learn you're right in step with the majority. Just FYI, Totino’s also markets hot snacks that kids love and can make on their own. Totino's Pizza Rolls, for ex, offer the great taste of Totino’s pizza but in a bite-size snack. easier to scarf after a night of "partying" (wink wink!)

 
At May 08, 2005 6:29 PM, Blogger eatsdfw said...

Glad to see you're blogging and doing well. Always loved your DMN writing. I visited Kincaid's in Southlake over the weekend. Maybe I dont get the whole Kincaid's thing--lines out the door when it opened at 11am--but I thought it was a mediocre burger. The meat was too lean, so it was dry and overcooked. But Southlake does seem to be the epicenter of burgers, with the chains plus Johnny B's, Steak and Shake, Cheeburger Cheeburger and now Kincaids all within a block of each other.

 
At May 09, 2005 10:03 AM, Blogger emmmjay said...

hey, I don't want to hear any bad words about Totinos! They are cheap and handy and I love them! And I don't have to get high to eat them! :-)))
Besides if you are so discriminating, how did you ever taste them at all???

 
At May 09, 2005 1:02 PM, Blogger Twisted Link said...

Yeah, there's nothing like a crappy pizza with moldy cheese and a syupy cheap soda. I mean tonic.

 
At May 10, 2005 1:40 PM, Blogger emmmjay said...

things only get moldy when you leave them around for a few days.
If you bake right out of the freezer it's only semi-moldy.
and Pepsi tonic is not syrupy or cheap!! esp. the sugar-and caffeine-free. so there! :-))

 
At May 10, 2005 4:50 PM, Blogger Twisted Link said...

PEPSI?!! Gross! It's well-known that only heroin addicts and Republicans drink that stuff.

Cool people snort... i mean drink ... COKE!!!

 
At May 11, 2005 5:35 AM, Blogger emmmjay said...

well, i don't use heroin so that leaves only one and I guess the shoe fits.
And Coke is only drunk by rednecks and truckdrivers.
As for who snorts it? No one I know. I hope!!!
Sorry--gotta go--time to get my daily Totino.

 
At May 11, 2005 9:27 AM, Blogger Twisted Link said...

I don't drive a truck, but I'll fess up to the redneck thing. And I'll join you in a totinos that's for sure. Maybe even two.

 
At May 11, 2005 11:04 AM, Blogger emmmjay said...

It's a deal!! Next time we are
"together" we will definitely...
ROFL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home